A combination or ‘combi’ boiler is both a high efficiency water heater and a central heating boiler all wrapped up in a single compact unit. Combi boilers heat water instantaneously from the mains when you turn on a tap, so you don’t need a hot water storage cylinder or a cold water storage tank in the roof space.
This makes Combi boilers extremely cost-effective and energy-efficient as you only pay for the exact amount hot water you need. An added benefit is that hot water is delivered at mains pressure, which transforms all your taps to high pressure, meaning mixer showers previously fed by gravity automatically become power showers.
- Compact size make combi boilers perfect for fitting into kitchen cupboards.
- Ideal where there is little or no loft space.
- No need for a hot water cylinder allows increased living space.
- No cold water storage tank frees up space for a loft for conversion.
- No risk of loft pipework freezing.
- Less pipework in the home makes installation typically cheaper.
- Modern High-powered Combi boilers can now heat 2-3 bathrooms (assuming the flow rate coming in is good).